A Powerful Defense Against Federal Crimes
Any criminal charge is serious and worthy of attention, but federal charges are among the most severe. Most federal crimes are felonies. A conviction can lead to jail time in federal prison – not to mention irreversible damage to your reputation, career and future opportunities.
At Torres | Torres Stallings, A Law Corporation, we are committed to providing a skilled defense for people facing federal charges. Our father-daughter legal team in Bakersfield, California, has extensive experience in federal court. We understand how federal crimes, and the federal process, differ from those in state court – something not all criminal defense lawyers are up to speed on. When so much is at stake, you deserve the highest level of passionate advocacy, and we are here to provide it.
We are here not to judge you, but to defend you. We will work tirelessly to protect your rights from the moment you hire us and until your case is concluded.
What Exactly Are Federal Crimes?
Federal criminal charges deal with offenses that violate federal (as opposed to state) law. Many of them come with mandatory minimum prison terms, meaning judges don’t have the same discretion as state-level judges to provide lighter sentences when the situation warrants. Federal courts follow their own procedures and have their own rules. This is why it’s so important to hire a defense lawyer with experience in federal court.
What Are Some Common Kinds Of Federal Charges?
Federal charges include many types of crimes such as:
- Drug trafficking and manufacturing: Possessing large quantities of illegal substances, including prescription drugs without a prescription, can lead to trafficking charges. Manufacturing charges often involve meth labs. Cultivation of marijuana is still a crime at the federal level. Common types of drugs involved in these cases include:
- Fentanyl, which is a major area of focus for federal law enforcement
- Conspiracy charges: When two people take substantial steps toward committing a federal crime, they can face conspiracy charges, even if they never followed through on committing the crime. This is a tricky and nuanced type of charge. Intent is critical.
- White collar crimes: Financial crimes can be just as serious as other felonies. Common types include:
- Money laundering
- Mail and wire fraud
- Tax evasion
- Tax fraud
- Identity theft
- Mortgage fraud
- Firearm offenses: Federal gun charges can include illegally transporting, trafficking or possessing a firearm.
- Terrorism-related charges: Domestic and international terrorism are both extremely serious charges. They involve a component that the illegal activity must have been for the purpose of intimidating or coercing civilians or the government.
- Immigration-related crimes: Entering the United States illegally can result in criminal charges. So, too, can using fraudulent documents or making misrepresentations to customs officials.
- Child pornography charges: These charges start with a detailed investigation and execution of a federal warrant. The sooner you get an attorney involved, the better.
In all of these cases, a prompt, aggressive defense can make a big difference in your case. You can count on our lawyers to go to bat for you.
Get A Skilled Defense Team On Your Side
Don’t waste any time before getting an experienced legal team to start building a strong defense for you. Contact our office at 661-326-0857 or through our website to arrange an initial consultation and learn more about how we can fight for you.